We call our Sunday mornings together our Central Gathering (CG) because this is the one time each week that all of New Hope Church gathers centrally. We gather from 10-11:30 am every Sunday to hear the Word of God preached, to pursue relationships with one another and to respond to God’s gracious presence through song and reflection. New Hope Church happens throughout the rest of the week as New Hopers gather in people’s homes during LIFE Groups and other small groups, at coffee shops and restaurants throughout the Little Apple, and at The Greenhouse. Read on for more about what’s coming up this summer during our CGs!
Teaching Series on Galatians
Our freedom in Christ is under attack! On Sunday, May 17 we launched our counterattack. Our summer sermon series is Galatians: Freedom Under Attack.
Here are some ideas for personal study as you prepare for hearing the Word of God preached each Sunday:
- Read through Galatians in its entirety, in one sitting, OUT LOUD, with someone! This should take about 18 minutes. Consider doing this a couple times. Jot down questions as you go. This is a great use of time in studying the Word.
- Write out the passage we’ll be studying the next Sunday double- spaced. Use a different colored pen to make connections, circle key words, write questions and take notes in be- tween lines. Consider picking up a note- book or journal that you love that is set aside for this activity. You could even put your sermon notes in the same journal.
- Memorize a few key verses. I don’t know if there’s another spiritual discipline out there that give you more bang for your buck than Scripture memory (...fasting perhaps?). Let’s hide the Word of God in our hearts together (Psalm 119:11). Grab one of the Galatians memory verse cards to help you! You can find these on the Welcome Ta- ble on Sunday mornings or at The Greenhouse during the week. Our theme verse for the whole series is Galatians 5:1
For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.
My prayer for you through this series is that you...
- would learn to stand firm in freedom in Christ (Gal 5:1).
- would continue to run your race well, or start running if you haven’t (Gal 5:7).
- would walk by the Spirit since you’re received life by the Spirit (Gal 5:16, 25).
- bear the fruit of the Spirit (Gal 5:22- 23).
- As we think about cultivating the fruit of the Spirit in our lives I’d like to remind you about your Word-of-the-Year 2015. If you’ve not chosen a growth word for 2015 it’s not too late. Read more about this at newhopeks.org/ resources/woty.
- bear your own load and carry one another’s burdens (Gal 6:1-5).
- reap abundant life...now (Gal 6:8).
- not grow weary of doing good (Gal
- do good to everyone, as we have opportunity, especially to those within our family (Gal 6:10).
Summer Teaching Schedule
|May 31||Gal 2:11-21|
|June 7||Gal 3:1-14|
|June 14||Gal 3:15-25|
|June 21||Father’s Day!: God as Our Father|
|June 28||Gal 3:26-4:7 & Baptism|
|July 5||CG at Britt’s|
|July 12||Gal 4:8-20 — CG From House to House|
|July 19||Gal 4:21-31|
|July 26||Gal 5:1-15|
|August 2||Gal 5:16-25|
|August 9||Gal 5:26-6:5|
|August 16||Gal 6:6-18|
Two Special Central Gatherings Out And About
Central Gathering at Britt’s
Sunday, July 5th, 2015 at 10am
Cookout lunch to follow
Join us July 5th at Britt’s Garden Acres (1000 S. Scenic Dr.) during our regular Central Gathering time. We’ll be meeting in their new event building for some fun singing, a message, followed by a free family cookout. We’ve also rented out their gigantic jumping pillows in the grounds behind the building. It’ll be fun for the whole family! Invite your friends and neighbors.
Central Gathering From House to House
Sunday, July 12th, 2015 at 10am
Join us July 12th for a decentralized Central Gathering. Almost a contradiction in terms, but not quite. The early church met in people’s homes throughout the city, and this is still the way the church meets in large parts of the world. So, on Sunday July 12th, we’ll be meeting in various locations across Manhattan. We’ll have spots open in homes throughout the city, as well as at The Greenhouse and the back modular at Flint Hills Christian School. We’re still ironing out some of the details, so stay tuned. But we hope to do some singing in each location, we’ll all watch a pre-recorded video message, then we’ll engage with some discussion questions in our small groups. Should be a fun morning!