Team 1:27 exists to champion adoption, foster, and orphan care. This ministry takes its name from James 1:27—“Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress...”
As Team 1:27 we exist to extend the gospel by promoting orphan care and encouraging families in every stage of the adoption and foster care process.
- Psalm 68:5-6 A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling. God sets the lonely in families …
- Deuteronomy 10:18 He executes justice for the fatherless and the widow, and loves the sojourner, giving him food and clothing.
We seek to periodically inform the church of the problem and bring awareness to the crisis that continues to develop around the world as well as in our own backyards. The problem is the abandonment of children left without a home or loving family. Here are some staggering examples of this problem we are facing:
- Stat 1: There are now approximately 163 million orphans world-wide – children who have lost one or both parents.
- Stat 2: Half the world’s children are devastated by poverty, conflict and AIDS.
- Stat 3: Orphans are often easy prey to many forms of exploitation: forced labor, prostitution and child soldiering.s
- Stat 4: There are currently 8,434 children in the Kansas foster care system; 90 children in Riley County entered foster care in 2012.
- Stat 5: In 2012, 170 children in the Northern Kansas region were awaiting adoption (850 children awaiting adoption in the state of Kansas)
We desire for people to know the state of their souls before Christ and how they were indeed once orphans. (John 14:18, Romans 8:15, Romans 8:23, Galatians 4:5, Ephesians 1:5, 1 John 3:1-2, John 1:12) We also seek to share how it is the church’s responsibility to move and fulfill the commands of God in loving the orphan in their distress, praying for their redemption and healing, and protecting them from harm. (Isaiah 1:17, James 1:27)
We desire to enable the church to act as the hands and feet to rescue and care for orphans and at-risk children. We work to provide opportunities and avenues for men, women, and children to tangibly work towards this cause.
The Three Channels of Focus
1. Orphan Care -- Our goal is to provide for the physical, emotional, and spiritual needs of orphans and waiting children.
- Involve others in mission trips to visit the orphan in their distress; Help others raise money to go on these mission trips
- Participate in Operation Christmas Child
- Sponsor a child, support them financially, and encourage them through letters
- Adopt a village/community overseas and help them mobilize indigenous orphan care, etc.
2. Domestic and International Adoption -- Our goal is to provide a way to educate, encourage, and support families as they consider and pursue international or domestic adoption.
- Adopt a child through international, domestic, or foster care adoption
- Contribute generously to an adoptive family to help offset their costs; Create a support group for adoptive families
- Host informational meetings about adoptions and foster care
- Create a resource list of people, websites, books, etc. for families interested in adoption
- Provide individual family support as needed (prayer, meals, respite care, etc.)
3. Foster Care -- Our goal is to provide a way to educate, encourage, and support families as they consider and pursue foster care.
- Raise up and support foster parents
- Recruit and support adoptive parents of children in foster care
- Host parenting classes to meet education requirements for foster parents
- Help certify more families to provide respite care
- CarePortal - New Hope is a proud partner member of CarePortal, helping meet the specific needs of foster kids and families in our city. Contact Nate Harstine, point person at New Hope for this ministry, with questions and to get more involved.
- Adoption, Foster, & Orphan Care Resources HANDOUT
- Book Recommendation: Adopted for Life by Russell Moore
Because of periodic donations to Team 1:27's ministry, there are occasionally funds available to help people going through the adoption process. If you're interested in applying for this type of funds assistance, please fill out the form below. Instructions are at the top of the form. Below is the application form in two different formats for your convenience:
- Application for Adoption Funds Assistance -- editable form (.docx)
- Application for Adoption Funds Assistance -- non-editable form (.pdf)